Capital Preservation Grant, Level II
Grant Award: $398,280 (2002); $300,000 (2004) Grant Recipient: Township of Millstone County: MonmouthMunicipality: Clarksburg
Warren H. Conover designed this vernacular frame school in 1925. It remains an intact example of an early 20th century rural schoolhouse, the successor of the one-room schoolhouse. The school retains its four-classroom plan, with two additions to accommodate additional classes and restrooms. The Clarksburg School holds strong cultural and community ties among local residents, many of whom were educated in this structure. The school closed in 1995.
The two Trust matching grants helped fund the exterior and interior rehabilitation of the structure for use as municipal offices. The project included restoration of exterior shingles and windows, roof and chimney repairs, removal of unsympathetic alterations, construction of a new accessible ramp and entry, refinishing of floors and walls, and preservation of chalk boards and coat closets. The building now houses the offices of the township's administrator, clerk and finances.
For more information, visit: http://www.millstonenj.gov/historical.html