Preserve New Jersey Historic Preservation Fund
Capital Preservation Grant, Level II
Grant Award: $260,127 (2000); $593,739 (2004); $50,000 (2018) Grant Recipient: County of Cumberland County: CumberlandMunicipality: Bridgeton Township
The neoclassical Cumberland County Courthouse was designed by the Philadelphia firm of Watson & Huckel and constructed in 1909, with two later additions. It remains the most prominent public building in this rural county.
The 2018 Trust grant helped fund the preparation of construction documents and specifications for restoration of exterior masonry, trim elements at the bell and clock tower, and other exterior elements. The 2004 Trust grant helped fund the rehabilitation of all the frame windows and installation of custom screen windows. In addition, the county replaced the deteriorated roofs on the historic building and 1930s addition. Restoration of the cupola and clock tower was completed in 2002 and funded by a previous Trust grant.
For more information, visit: http://www.co.cumberland.nj.us/