Capital Preservation Grant, Level II
Grant Award: $447,562 (2004) Grant Recipient: City of Bridgeton County: CumberlandMunicipality: Bridgeton
The David Sheppard House was constructed in 1791 as a Federal-style mansion that overlooks a key intersection in Bridgeton. It housed two generations of the Sheppard family before being expanded in the nineteenth century to accommodate use as a school for young women. The 19th century additions to the house were demolished in 1995, and the property was vacant for 20 years.
The Trust grant helped fund the exterior stabilization and restoration work. Work included brick repointing, window repair, roof replacement and new water conduction systems. That enabled Rutgers University to complete an interior rehabilitation project. The building now houses The Cousteau Center at Bridgeton, Rutgers University.
For more information, visit: http://jcnerr.org/bridgeton.html