Capital Preservation Grants, Level II
Grant Award: $571,391 (2004) Grant Recipient: Mid-Atlantic Center for the Arts County: Cape MayMunicipality: Lower Township
Fire Tower No. 23 was one of fifteen towers built during World War II (1942) affiliated with Fort Miles, Delaware. The towers, four in New Jersey and eleven in Delaware, were used to aim coastal artillery units housed at Fort Miles. The Fort Miles installation and its associated towers provided harbor defenses of the Delaware Bay and River. Fire Tower No. 23 is the only remaining, intact, tower in New Jersey.
The grant helped fund the restoration of the exterior of the concrete tower, rehabilitation of the interior to permit public access, and provide site improvements to protect the site's sensitive natural environment. This project opened to the public a previously inaccessible and little-known World War II resource that is important to New Jersey's coastal history.
For more information, visit: