Historic Site Management Grant
Grant Award: $47,265 (2012) Grant Recipient: First Presbyterian Church of Springfield County: UnionMunicipality: Springfield
Both the site and the congregation are associated with the Revolutionary War and the Battle of Springfield. The Federal style church dates to 1791. In 1856, a Gothic Revival style chapel was constructed to the rear of the church, and originally used as a lecture room. In 1899, a kitchen was incorporated into the lecture room and by 1937 the lecture room was enlarged and converted into the present-day chapel. Structural work, focused particularly on the church steeple was undertaken in the mid-1980s.
The Trust grant will help fund the preparation of a preservation plan and construction documents to resolve several urgent structural issues with the roof trusses and basement piers.
For more information, visit: http://www.springfieldpresbyterian.com/home/community/history/