Preserve New Jersey Historic Trust
Historic Site Management Grant
Grant Award: $40,000 (2006); $44,482 (2020) Grant Recipient: First Presbyterian Church of Trenton County: MercerMunicipality: Trenton
The church is significant for its influence on 300 years of political, educational and religious development of Trenton as well as for its superb Greek Revival style architecture and prominent downtown location. Constructed in 1839, this building is the third church constructed on this site, for a congregation that formed in 1712. Constructed of brick, the church supports an octagonal steeple, a portion of which was reconstructed in 1964, and a one-story addition constructed in 1950. The site also contains a cemetery, and four buildings that are used for day care facilities and offices.
The church is suffering from deferred maintenance, with damage to the roof trusses, porch columns, bell tower, soffits and cornice.
The 2020 Trust grant will help fund a conditions assessment and site preservation plan for the First Presbyterian Cemetery. The 2006 Trust grant helped fund the preparation of a preservation plan that identified priority repair and restoration needs.
For more information, visit: http://old1712.org