Historic Site Management Grant
Grant Award: $50,000 (2009); $37,125 (2012) Grant Recipient: First Presbyterian Church of Ewing County: MercerMunicipality: Ewing
The church was constructed in 1867, designed in the Romanesque Revival style with tall round-arched windows, arcaded corbels, buttresses, a central tower and brownstone exterior. It is one of four buildings on the original 55-acre campus, which included an active cemetery, an 1880 former manse and a contemporary fellowship hall.
When the church was closed in 2007 because of structural concerns, responsibility for the sanctuary's stewardship was assumed by the Presbytery of New Brunswick. The applicant organization has a 50-year lease on the Sanctuary from the Presbytery and is in the process of making repairs to the structure.
The 2012 grant will help fund a feasibility study to establish a preservation policy center at the site. A 2009 Trust grant helped fund a detailed structural assessment and preparation of design and construction documents to remedy the structural deficiency.
For more information, visit: http://www.1867sanctuary.org/