Historic Preservation Bond Program
Level II Capital Grant
Grant Award: $334,876 (2000); $449,967 (1996) Grant Recipient: First Presbyterian Church of Salem County: SalemMunicipality: City of Salem
Located on one of the two original streets laid out in 1685 near the heart of downtown Salem, First Presbyterian Church of Salem was built in 1856 by architect John McArthur, designer of City Hall in Philadelphia. With its imposing 165-foot steeple, the church is a fixture of the Salem skyline and a prominent landmark in the downtown historic district.
The Trust grant helped fund the restoration of the exterior of the church, including the stained glass windows, and historic landscape of the forecourt, including the iron fence.
For more information, visit: http://fpcsnj.com/