Grant Award: $114,318 (2016) Grant Recipient: duCret School of Art County: UnionMunicipality: Plainfield
The George A. Strong Residence was designed by the architectural firm of Rossiter and Wright and constructed in the popular Colonial Revival style in 1896 for George and Harriet Strong. It is distinguished by the use of buff yellow brick, a symmetrical front façade with central porch, a mix of plain glass and stained glass windows, and a side porte cochere. After Mrs. Strong’s death in 1931, the house was run as a private boys school until 1976 when it was acquired by the current art school.
The Trust grant would help fund the exterior restoration of the front porch and chimney, interior restoration of the wood floors and rear hall, and the addition of an accessible restroom.
For more information, visit: www.ducret.edu