Historic Site Management Grant
Capital Preservation Grant Level II
Grant Award: $25,171 (2002); $10,500 (2005); $664,200 (2008) Grant Recipient: Borough of Glen Ridge County: EssexMunicipality: Glen Ridge
Glen Ridge became a wealthy commuter community of residential and light commercial buildings in the late 19th century. The municipal complex, at the center of the commercial district, was built as the symbol of the community’s affluence and civic pride. The complex, built in 1931 and designed by Orrin Bartlet, serves not only as the town hall but also the police station and the library. This resource is the focal-point of the Glen Ridge historic district. All three buildings retain their historic character and high-quality detailing.
The 2008 Trust grant helped fund roof and drainage repairs, repointing of brick and limestone, repairs of exterior metalwork, and rehabilitating existing windows and doors. Previous Trust grants helped fund the preparation of construction documents and a preservation plan that identified the building's most urgent needs.
For more information, visit: http://www.glenridgenj.org/architecture.htm