Level II Capital Grant
Historic Site Management Grant
Grant Award: $422,500 (2000); $33,900 (2012) Grant Recipient: Grace Episcopal Church County: UnionMunicipality: Plainfield
Grace Church was founded in 1852, and the current building was constructed in 1892 by British-American architect Robert Gibson. Grace Episcopal Church is a well-preserved example of Gothic Revival ecclesiastical architecture. Its most significant feature is the square tower with crenelated parapet and conical side tower and features a 47 bell carillon. Stained glass windows from Tiffany, Heaton Butler & Bayne, and Connick Studios are featured. Later additions include the parish house (1905), chancel extensions (1930) and parish hall (1957). The parish is an active urban center for worship, education and social outreach programs.
The 2012 Trust grant helped fund the preparation of an updated schematic design report and construction documents for the next phase of repair and restoration. A previous grant helped fund repointing and repair of the front elevation and tower and the restoration of stained glass windows, including several Tiffany windows.
For more information, visit: http://www.graceplainfield.org/index.html