Capital Preservation Grant, Level II
Grant Award: $750,000 (2002); $750,000 (2010) Grant Recipient: County of Hudson County: HudsonMunicipality: Jersey City
The courthouse was constructed in 1910 and is an excellent example of American Renaissance and Beaux Arts Style civic buildings. The building was designed by Hugh Roberts. The building functioned as a courthouse between 1910 and 1966. The building was vacated c. 1966 but restored and reopened in 1985.
The current grant will help fund the restoration of interior marble and many of the public murals by noted American artitsts Francis D. Millet, Charles Turner, Edwin Blashfield, Kenyon Cox, and Howard Pyle. The previous Trust grant helped fund the restoration of existing bronze chandeliers and wall sconces, and replication of missing historic light fixtures and components.
For more information, visit: www.judiciary.state.nj.us/hudson/brennan.htm