Capital Preservation Grant, Level II
Historic Site Management Grant
Grant Award: $322,840 (2000); $16,590 (2002); $48,750 (2010) Grant Recipient: Friends of the Vanderveer-Knox House County: SomersetMunicipality: Bedminster Township
The ca. 1760 Dutch-American core of the Jacobus Vanderveer House is the only known extant building associated with the Pluckemin encampment of 1778-79, which is considered to be the first installation in America to train officers in engineering and artillery. According to tradition, the modest dwelling served as the headquarters of General Henry Knox during the encampment, when the Americans trained in the use of military supplies captured from the enemy at Fort Ticonderoga and then used to drive the British from Boston. The house was enlarged by two additions in the 19th century, remodeled in the 20th century, and subsequently abandoned.
The 2010 Trust grant helped fund a comprehensive tourism assessment and interpretive plan to promote greater public visitation.
The 2002 grant helped fund an archeological investigation in advance of reconstructing the missing 18th century kitchen addition. The investigation helped determine the footprint of the addition and attempted to locate openings and chimneys. The addition, which features an accessible ramp and restrooms, exhibit and office space, was completed in 2007.
The 2000 Trust grant helped fund the restoration of the house to its 19th-century appearance. The house interprets the Pluckemin encampment. The project is part of a larger plan to link the house to the encampment site by a pedestrian/bicycle trail.
For more information, visit: http://jvanderveerhouse.com/