Preserve New Jersey Historic Preservation Fund
Historic Site Management Grant
Grant Award: $48,000 (2010); $72,000 (2017) Grant Recipient: Cooper's Ferry Development Association County: CamdenMunicipality: Camden
The first section of the Cooper house was constructed in 1695 as a Dutch Colonial style stone house, and a brick addition was added ca. 1785. The house was constructed for Joseph Cooper, son of William Cooper, who established Cooper Point Ferry at this location. Purchased by the City in 1913, it was used as a library when the surrounding land became Pyne Poynt Park. In 2005, much of the house was destroyed by fire. Increased vandalism and exposure to the elements has left the house as a ruin, with only portions of the exterior walls remaining. It is now recognized as a significant archaeological historic site.
The 2010 Trust grant helped fund research and made recommendations for the structure’s incorporation into the surrounding park, future cultural and educational programming, and interpretive signage that provides information about this historic resource. The 2017 grant helped fund the preparation of construction documents, and archaeological management plan, infill of the basement level, and masonry repointing, guided by the adaptive reuse study funded by the 2010 Trust grant. When it is complete, the structure will be incorporated into the surrounding park for cultural and educational programming and interpretive signage will provide information about the site’s history.
For more information, visit: https://coopersferry.com/