Grant Award: $26,500 (1990) Grant Recipient: Lyndhurst Historical Society County: BergenMunicipality: Lyndhurst
This 1893 Queen Anne style structure is a remarkably intact one-room schoolhouse. The fine detailing of the facade and octagonal cupola emphasize the pride the community placed in their new public education system. Initially, only the first floor was used as classroom space. However, expanding enrollment forced the hiring of a second teacher and the expansion of the school into the second floor space.
The grant funded the restoration of this prototypical one-room schoolhouse to its 1911 appearance. A new heating system was installed, the interior was painted, and a modern chain link fence was replaced by a historically appropriate picket fence. The schoolhouse is now used as a museum featuring local history exhibits.
For more information, visit: http://www.lyndhursthistoricalsociety.org/LyndhurstHistory2.html