Historic Site Management Grant
Capital Preservation Grant, Level II
Grant Award: $29,475 (2000); $476,725 (2004) Grant Recipient: Help Our Preservation Effort (H.O.P.E.) County: WarrenMunicipality: Hope
The Long House is a contributing resource within Hope Historic District. The building includes four additions to the circa 1777 stone house. These additions show the evolution of construction methods between 1777 and 1870. The style of the Long House and its continued relationship to the community makes this resource an important element of the historic district. The earliest two sections of the house date to a period of Moravian settlement in Hope, and may be one of the only surviving frame structures from this period.
The 2000 Trust grant helped fund historical research and preservation recommendations. The 2004 grant helped fund the stabilization of the building including its stone foundations and deteriorated sills and post. Additionally, the grant work restored the exterior to an 1870 appearance. The building now houses the local preservation organization offices and library, as well as local retail establishments.
For more information, visit: http://www.hopetownship.com/history.php