Historic Site Management Grant
Capital Preservation Grant, Level II
Grant Award: $50,000 (2008); $99,942 (2008) Grant Recipient: Medford Township County: BurlingtonMunicipality: Medford Township
The meeting house dates to the 1840s when it was constructed by the Hicksite Sect of the Religious Society of Friends. It was used as a place of worship until 1955 when its primary use was for religious classes. The brick construction and simple interior reflect the Society of Friends' modest architecture. The building retains good integrity of materials and finishes, though it has essentially been vacant for more than 20 years.
The 2008 planning grant helped fund a preservation plan to establish repair and restoration priorities as the township took ownership of the building. The larger capital grant will help fund roof replacement. New uses for the building are being explored.
For more information, visit: http://www.medfordfriendsmeeting.org/