Grant Award: $35,000 (1991) Grant Recipient: Montclair Child Development Center County: EssexMunicipality: Glen Ridge
Built in 1929 in the Italian Renaissance Revival style, the school originally served the needs of Italian immigrant families in the area. The school's design reflects that of the Glen Ridge township buildings, particularly the municipal center complex, which includes the Arcade Building, public library, and the police station.
The Trust grant helped fund urgently needed repairs of the building's exterior, including restoration of the original terra cotta tile roof. Today, the building houses a Head Start Program.
For more information, visit: http://italiansofmontclair.com/early_parish.htm