Historic Site Management Grant
Grant Award: $37,424 (2006); $50,000 (2008) Grant Recipient: Wharton Borough County: MorrisMunicipality: Wharton Borough
The Morris Canal operated across New Jersey between 1824 and 1924. It was the highest climbing canal constructed and played a crucial role in the industrial development of New Jersey. An archaeological study has indicated that Lock 2 East is buried but intact and stable, but the adjacent lock tender’s house is currently a ruin. Lock 2 East and the lock tender’s house are along one of the best preserved watered portions of the canal.
The 2008 Trust grant helped fund the preparation of restoration documents for the lock, canal basin, and lock tender’s house. The documents include topographic survey, hydraulic analysis, environmental permitting, and the preparation of construction drawings and specifications. A previous grant helped fund the preparation of a historic site master plan and the preparation of interpretive materials including brochures, signage and a display.
For more information, visit: http://www.morriscanal.org/