Capital Preservation Grant, Level II
Grant Award: $279,737 (2010) Grant Recipient: Morristown and Morris Township Libraries County: MorrisMunicipality: Morristown
The Morristown Library building was constructed in 1917 by noted library architect Edward Lippincott Tilton in the Collegiate Gothic style, complementing the existing Gothic Revival church located across the street. An addition, built in the same style was completed in 1933. Two modern additions were constructed in 1987 and 2006. A recent explosion in the basement of the 1917 portion of the building resulted in significant damage to the interior of the 1917 and 1933 sections. There is no indication that the explosion caused any additional damage to the exterior conditions. The interior restoration will be completed through insurance coverage.
The 2010 Trust grant funded the masonry restoration of the building, guided by a preservation plan and a masonry condition assessment.
For more information visit: www.jfpl.org