Preserve New Jersey historic Preservation Fund
Historic Site Management Grant
Capital Preservation Grant Level II
Grant Award: $50,000 (2009); $750,000 (2020) Grant Recipient: Newark Performing Arts Corporation, Inc. County: EssexMunicipality: Newark
Originally known as the Mosque Theater and officially called the Salaam Temple, the Hall was built from 1922 to 1925 and includes Neo-Classical, Greek, Roman and Egyptian design elements. The building was in private ownership until 1964 when purchased by the City of Newark. It is now leased to the Newark Performing Arts Corporation and remains the primary concert space for the Newark Symphony. The building suffers from some localized water infiltration.
The current Trust grant will help fund exterior restoration of Newark Symphony Hall.
The 2009 Trust grant helped fund the preparation of a preservation plan that will help guide future efforts to maintain, repair and restore this 1920s urban landmark, with special attention to restoring its historic interior finishes.
For more information, visit: http://www.newarksymphonyhall.org/