Historic Site Management Grant
Capital Preservation Grant, Level II
Grant Award: $49,178 (2001); $733,585 (2004) Grant Recipient: Mercer County County: MercerMunicipality: Hopewell Township/Lawrence Township
The Hunt House was constructed in three building campaigns, the original two-bay house dating to about 1760-1790, and later additions in the 18th and 19th centuries. The county acquired the house, outbuildings and 12 acres in 1968 as part of Rosedale Park. It is significant for its representation of Hopewell's agricultural history and for its association with the Hunt family, prominent early residents of Hopewell Township.
The 2004 capital preservation grant helped fund stabilization, restoration, and rehabilitation of the structure for its current use as a county park office and visitor/trail center. A 2001 grant helped fund a comprehensive historic structure report that identified the layers of alterations to the building fabric and the building's role in the Township's agricultural history, and included a through archaeological investigation.
For more information, visit: www.mercercountyparks.org/facilities/hunt-house