Grant Award: $529,035 (2000) Grant Recipient: Township of Cranbury County: MiddlesexMunicipality: Cranbury Township
Cranbury's Italianate style Old School Building began as a small public school designed by architect William W. Walker in 1896. Architecturally sympathetic additions constructed in 1905 and 1922 reflected the community's expansion in the early 1900s. No longer used as a school, the building remains at the heart of a well-preserved National Register district in a community that has had exemplary success in historic and open space preservation.
The Trust grant helped fund the adaptive use of the building as the community's municipal center. In re-using the redundant school, the project is providing an alternative to sprawl and demonstrates an early and successful application of the State's new rehabilitation sub-code.
For more information, visit: http://www.cranburytownship.org/town_hall.html