Garden State Historic Preservation Trust Fund
Historic Site Management Grant
Grant Award: $50,000 (2010)
Grant Recipient: Historic Paulus Hook Association
County: HudsonMunicipality: Jersey City
The Paulus Hook Historic District is a 12-block area predominated by 19th century row houses, some tenements, churches, schools, banks and a Beaux Arts style post office. The Paulus Hook Park consists of four squares on each corner of the intersection of Grand and Washington Streets. The park and part of the rest of the neighborhood is on the site of a Revolutionary War fort, which was crucial to the 1770 Battle of Paulus Hook. Dedicated as a park in the 1800s, in 1904 the Daughters of the American Revolution erected an obelisk to commemorate the battle. Apart from two small signs and the obelisk, there is no historical interpretation of the park.
The Trust grant will help fund research, schematic design and design development, and preparation of construction drawings for the park that will incorporate historic interpretation into its design and use.
For more information visit: