Historic Site Management Grant
Grant Award: $49,155 (2005); $5,139 (2006) Grant Recipient: National Society of the Colonial Dames in America County: BurlingtonMunicipality: Westampton and Mount Holly
The Colonial Dames own and operate two historic sites in Burlington County, Peachfield and the Old School House. Peachfield was constructed ca. 1730 and owned by the Burr family for 200 years. Its period of architectural significance, however, dates to the 1929 rebuilding after a devasting fire. Its current appearance is a good design example of architects R.B Okie's Colonial Revival style.
The Old School House is located in downtown Mount Holly, a more urban setting. Built in 1759, it is the oldest surviving one room schoolhouse in New Jersey and was restored in the 1970s at a then-impressive cost of $12,000.
The Trust grant helped fund the preparation of a ten-year vision plan that defined the significance of the sites, developed marketing and educational plans to interpret and open the sites to the public, and created a master plan for continued preservation, site improvements and long term building maintenance. The plan will provide guidance to the Colonial Dames as the organization makes the sites available for increased public visitation.
For more information, visit: http://www.colonialdamesnj.org/