Grant Award: $72,144 (1995) Grant Recipient: Queen of Angels Church County: EssexMunicipality: Newark
Designed by Otto Gsantner and erected in 1861, Queen of Angels Church is an ornate example of the German Gothic Revival style. The church, originally named St. Peter's, was built for a German Roman Catholic immigrant congregation. In the 1960s, a new African-American congregation renamed it Queen of Angels.
The Trust grant helped fund repair and replacement of gutters, installation of snow guards, repair and painting of the cornices, and repair and protection of the notable ornamental stained glass windows.
For more information, visit: http://www.njchurchscape.com/NewarkSaint%20Peter's%20RC.html