Capital Preservation Grant Level II
Grant Award: $750,000 (2000) Grant Recipient: NJ Community Development Corporation County: PassaicMunicipality: Paterson City
The Roger's Locomotive Works was a leading manufacturer of railroad locomotives from 1833 to 1919. Its surviving buildings are among the most visually prominent and best preserved of the industrial structures within Paterson's Great Falls/Society for Useful Manufactures National Historic Landmark District. The vacant Frame Fitting Shop, constructed around 1881, is the central building of the former works.
The Trust grant helped fund exterior restoration and enabling systems in the building's $6.3 million adaptive use as a "Transportation Opportunity Center." The Center provides transportation, education, day care and administrative services to immigrant and welfare-to-work residents to assist them in gaining employment in the region.
For more information, visit: http://www.patersongreatfalls.org/rogers.html