Capital Preservation Grant Level II
Grant Award: $250,000 (2008) Grant Recipient: Salem County County: SalemMunicipality: Salem
The Salem County Courthouse was constructed in the Federal style in 1817. An addition was added off the back of the building in 1908. The building occupies a prominent corner of the historic district in Salem. Architectural features include a denticulated cornice, Palladian windows, Flemish bond brickwork, and a wood shingle hipped roof. The building still functions as a courthouse. Some space is used for offices while other spaces are vacant and in need of repair.
The Trust grant helped fund the exterior and interior preservation of the courthouse and improved accessibility.
For more information, visit: http://www.discoversalemcounty.com/home/SalemNJ.asp#.VCsSHVcfgXU