Grant Award: $90,768 (1997) Grant Recipient: City of Salem County: SalemMunicipality: City of Salem
Built as the John Tyler Library in 1888, the building is located in the middle of the Broadway Historic District on one of the two original streets laid out in 1675. The library skillfully combines the Romanesque Revival and Queen Anne styles in terra cotta and brick, and is attributed to Philadelphia architect George Hewitt. Originally incorporated in 1806 as "The Library Company of Salem" this was the second library established in New Jersey.
The Trust grant helped fund the restoration of the building's late nineteenth century appearance by replacing the slate roof and missing decorative millwork, and repairing masonry and windows.
For more information, visit: http://www.cityofsalemnj.gov/government/boards-authorities/free-public-library/