Grant Award: $81,581 (1993); $120,430 (1997) Grant Recipient: City of Salem County: SalemMunicipality: City of Salem
The Municipal Building is located within Salem's Broadway Historic District, which contains a number of notable eighteenth and nineteenth century structures. Originally constructed for the Salem National Bank Company in 1888, it is a most exuberant example of the Queen Anne style, designed by Philadelphia architect David Evans. In 1924 the City purchased the building for use as the seat of local government and moved it to a new location on New Market Street.
A 1997 Trust grant helped fund restoration of original interior features and finishes and upgrading of mechanical and electrical systems. A previous grant helped fund comprehensive exterior restoration work.
For more information, visit: http://www.cityofsalemnj.gov/