Grant Award: $350,681 (1995) Grant Recipient: St. Patrick's Pro-Cathedral Roman Catholic Church County: EssexMunicipality: Newark City
From 1853 to 1956 St. Patrick's served as the Cathedral of the Archdiocese of Newark. Designed by Patrick C. Keeley, the church is a fine example of the Gothic Revival style. Situated adjacent to the Newark Museum and within the James Common Historic District, the Cathedral is especially notable for its basilica plan, vaulted interior, and elegant belfry tower adorned with spires and pinnacles.
Located in an economically distressed neighborhood, St. Patrick's makes a notable contribution to the Newark community through various social programs including a soup kitchen, food pantry, and tutoring program for local children.
The Trust grant helped fund repairs to the water conduction systems and restoration of the building's deteriorated exterior.
For more information, visit: