Capital Preservation Grant, Level II
Grant Award: $232,406 (2000); $260,805 (2002) Grant Recipient: St. Peter's Episcopal Church County: MiddlesexMunicipality: Perth Amboy Township
This elegantly sparse Gothic Revival-style church, constructed in 1853, is the third house of worship used by one of New Jersey's oldest Episcopal congregations. The congregation's origins date to 1685, two years after William Penn's founding of Perth Amboy. Surrounded by a historic graveyard, the church houses important community services.
The 2002 Trust grant helped fund the second phase of a $1.4 million capital campaign to address exterior needs. Work included masonry restoration, repair and installation of drainage, replacement of the entrance porch flat roof, repairs to the copper spire, stained-glass window restoration, and restoration of cast iron fence. The grant awarded in 2000 funded the first phase of the preservation campaign, which included replacing the roof with slate, installing new drainage systems, completing brownstone and brick repairs and restoration of exterior wood elements.
For more information, visit: http://stpetersepiscopal.com/history/