The 2000-seat structure is the largest synagogue built in New Jersey, reflecting the significant size of the Jewish population in Newark at the beginning of the 20th century. The congregation formed in 1853 by a small group of Jewish emigrants from Poland and eventually constructed the temple in 1924. Fifty years later, the building was sold to an evangelical congregation and now serves as a house of worship and home to community outreach programs, and educational and social activities.
The Trust grant will fund preparation of a conditions assessment report to guide restoration and maintenance of the complex, and specifically address the urgent need for roof repairs.
For more information, visit: http://www.decministries.net/templehistory.htm