Historic Site Management Grant
Grant Award: $25,000 (2008) Grant Recipient: Princeton Battlefield Society County: MercerMunicipality: Princeton Township
The 1772 Thomas Clarke House was a working farm during the time of the American Revolution, and served as a hospital after the Battle of Princeton, which was a turning point of the Revolution for the Colonists. General Hugh Mercer, General Washington's closest military ally, died of his battle wounds in this house. The property was acquired by the state in the 1940s, and the 85-acre park is open to the public. The house is also open to the public and contributes to the Princeton Battlefield National Historic Landmark.
The 2008 Trust grant helped fund the preparation of a preservation plan to assess current conditions of the house and make recommendations for prioritizing future repair and restoration work.
For more information, visit: http://www.theprincetonbattlefieldsociety.com/