Historic Site Management Grant
Capital Preservation Grant, Level II
Grant Award: $27,000 (2001); $266,437 (2004); $24,170 (2009) Grant Recipient: Hardwick Township Historical Society County: WarrenMunicipality: Hardwick Township
John Vass, a German immigrant, erected this limestone farmhouse in 1812. Members of the Vass family were extensive landowners and involved in local politics, ice production and mining enterprises, in addition to farming. The farm remained in family ownership until 1922. The land on which the farmstead now sits was purchased using Green Acres funding and is now part of the county's 665-acre White Lake Wildlife Management Area, a popular fishing and recreational destination. While vernacular in style, the house retains a high degree of integrity.
The current grant will help fund the preparation of an interpretive plan and materials for the visiting public that will convey the history of the Vass family, agricultural development, and the preservation of the site. Previous Trust grants helped fund a historic structure report for the house and barn and assisted with the first phase of restoration.
For more information, visit: www.njskylands.com/hswhitelake.htm