Historic Site Management Grant
Grant Award: $31,275 (2010) Grant Recipient: Haddon Township County: CamdenMunicipality: Haddon Township
The theater was opened in 1927 as both a vaudeville and silent film venue, with seating for 1,800 patrons. After closing during World War II, the theater reopened in 1948, with changes to the design of the marquee, entrance and interior. It closed as a theater in 1987 and housed a performance theater company during the 1990s. The township now leases the historic theater from the county, and plans to incorporate its restoration and reuse into the local redevelopment district.
The Trust grant helped fund planning documents to determine the feasibility of reestablishing a performance venue.
For more information visit: http://njpen.com/how-the-westmont-theatre-became-a-planet-fitness/