Garden State Historic Preservation Trust Fund
Grant Award: $23,345 (2009); $45,000 (2016); $24,000 (2020) Grant Recipient: Borough of Fieldsboro County: BurlingtonMunicipality: Fieldsboro
The White Hill Mansion was occupied for three generations by the Fields family, after whom the borough was named, and is associated with people and events of the Revolutionary War. The original Georgian-style house (c. 1740), with Flemish bond brick facades, was expanded with a brick addition in the 19th century and later remodeled in a Queen Anne/Shingle style with the addition of shingle-clad bays, projecting additions and dormers, iron cresting, and vernacular Gothic details. The house operated as a restaurant bar and grill from the 1920s until 1982, at which time the seven-acre property was purchased by a chemical company that abandoned the house until it was acquired by the borough in 2000.
The 2020 Trust grant will help fund exterior restoration to close any openings on the building’s façade and create a watertight exterior envelope.The 2015 Trust grant helped fund foundation stabilization, a priority work item identified in the 2009 preservation plan that was prepared with funding from a previous Trust grant.
For more information, visit: www.whitehillmansion.com