Capital Preservation Grant Level II
Historic Site Management Grant
Grant Award: $293,934 (1996); $696,462 (2000); $750,000 (2004); $39,750 (2007) Grant Recipient: Monmouth University County: MonmouthMunicipality: West Long Branch
Woodrow Wilson Hall is a National Historic Landmark, recognized for its architectural, social and cultural significance. Retaining much of its original historic fabric, the Beaux-arts mansion was originally known as Shadow Lawn. It was designed by the office of Philadelphia architect Horace Trumbauer and was primarily the responsibility of Julian Abele, the country's first classically trained African American architect. Owner Hubert Parson, president of the F.W. Woolworth Company, became deeply in debt as a result of the extravagant building and decoration, and sold his assets in the 1930s. Monmouth College acquired the property in 1956 from the Borough of West Long Branch, and the mansion is now the centerpiece of a 155-acre campus.
The 2007 Trust grant helped fund the preparation of construction documents for the long-awaited repair of the portico. Previous Trust grants have funded the restoration of roof surfaces, decorative rooftop terraces and balustrades, conservation of the historic theater’s decorative murals and finishes, and the preparation of a multi-volume historic structure report that is guiding preservation efforts.
For more information, visit: http://www.monmouth.edu/wilson_hall/