Governor Phil Murphy • Lt. Governor Tahesha Way
NJ Home | Services A to Z | Departments/Agencies | FAQs  
State of New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection
State of New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection
DWSG Home | Contact DWSG | A - Z Index | DEP Home 









faucet-glassPublic Water Quality Complaints

The Division of Water Supply and Geoscience (DWSG) is tasked with the protection of public health and safety by ensuring public community water systems (water systems) are serving water to their customers that meets all Federal and State Drinking Water Standards.  We understand there may be occasions when there are changes in water quality and as a customer of a water system you may need assistance.

If you have a water quality complaint: 

  • Be sure to contact your water system directly for assistance (your water system is the place to which you pay your water bill).  If you do not have contact information for your water system, information may be found by County and Town here.   
  • If you still have concerns after contacting your water system, please submit your complaint to DWSG using the Water Quality Complaint form.  The form should only be used if you have a water quality problem unique to your location. Completed forms should be sent via one of the following methods:

    brown waterMail:
    Division of Water Supply and Geoscience
    Mail Code 401-04Q
    P.O. Box 420
    Trenton, NJ 08625-0420

    Fax: 609-633-1495; or

    Please include “Water quality complaint” and the name of your water system in the subject line.
What Happens Next?

After we receive your form, we will consult with your water system.  Then, someone from your water system or DWSG will contact you with more information.    

Other Things to Consider
  • The Water Quality Complaint form is intended for consumers that are served by public water systems (sometimes referred to as “city water”).  If you are served by a private well and have a concern, please contact your local health department for assistance.

  • If your home/business has a point of use or point of entry treatment unit, make sure this unit is being properly maintained and operated before filing a complaint. To assist us in identifying the problem, please include all records of service and maintenance on any treatment units with the Water Quality Complaint Form.

  • If you are having issues with your hot water only, please verify that your hot water heater is being properly maintained.  For assistance you should contact a licensed plumber.

  • DWSG does not set water rates or regulate billing. All complaints regarding billing or water rates should be directed to your water system or to the New Jersey Board of Public Utilities (NJBPU) if your water system is regulated by that agency.  A list of water systems regulated by NJBPU can be found here.
  • The NJ Department of Environmental Protection does not regulate Legionella under Federal and State Drinking Water Standards. Therefore, if you have questions or concerns related to Legionella or Legionnaire’s Disease, refer to the NJ Department of Health here.
Like Us On Facebook-NJH2O

Department: NJDEP Home | About DEP | Index by Topic | Programs/Units | DEP Online
Statewide: NJ Home | Services A to Z | Departments/Agencies | FAQs

Copyright © State of New Jersey, 1996-2024

Last Updated: February 1, 2024