Working Papers Process, Step-by-Step
Once a minor gets a job offer, they should apply for Working Papers. The new online application process is designed to be streamlined and efficient for everyone. Here's an overview of how it works. You can download a printable handout of the process here.
- CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR JOB OFFER! You only apply for Working Papers after you get an offer of an employment. If you're still looking for a job, check out our resources here.
- CREATE AN ACCOUNT. Enter your name and email address at myworkingpapers.nj.gov. We’ll send you a link to confirm your email address. Remember: You only need to do this once, even if you need to submit more than one Working Papers application. (See step #5 for more information.)
- COMPLETE THE APPLICATION. You’ll need your employer’s unique 8-digit code and your caregiver’s name and email address to submit your part of the application. Helpful hint: If you don’t have the employer’s code, you can search for the business by keyword. If your employer hasn’t registered with us yet, you can give us their email address and we’ll send them a link to create an account.
- TRACK YOUR PROGRESS. You may need to follow up with your caregiver and employer, who need to submit their parts of the application before you can start working. If your application is rejected for any reason, you can’t work until you submit a new application that is approved.
- GET TO WORK! Once your application is approved, you can start working at your new job. Don’t forget: If you add or change jobs, use your existing account to submit a new Working Papers application for every new employer. Use the "Apply for Working Papers" link after you log in.
Here’s how to get started:
- CREATE AN ACCOUNT. Enter your business details and email address at myworkingpapers.nj.gov. We’ll send you a link to confirm your email address.
- COMPLETE YOUR EMPLOYER PROFILE. Once we have this information, we’ll assign your business a unique 8-digit code. Give this code to any minor you hire so we can link their Working Papers application to your business.
- CHECK YOUR EMAIL. We’ll notify you every time a minor submits a Working Papers application for a job with your business. After you verify their information and approve their application, the minor’s caregiver will be prompted to do the same from their own account. You’ll get another email from us letting you know if the application was fully approved or rejected. Need more help? If the application is rejected, the email will tell you the reason why and offer next steps for you to take.
- SCHEDULE THEIR FIRST DAY! Once an application is fully approved by the caregiver and NJDOL, all parties will get a confirmation email and the minor can start working at your business.
- CONGRATS ON YOUR MINOR'S JOB OFFER! Remember, they'll only apply for Working Papers after they get an offer of an employment. If they're still looking for a job, have them check out our resources here.
- CHECK YOUR EMAIL. Minors applying for Working Papers provide their caregiver’s name and email address. You’ll get an email from us with a link to create an account and complete your part of the process.
- REVIEW THE APPLICATION. If everything looks good, you’ll upload proof of the minor’s age (click here for a list of acceptable documents) and approve the application.
- NOT SURE ABOUT THE JOB INFORMATION? If you are concerned about any aspects of the job – hours, description, etc – you can reject the application so the minor can’t work for the employer. Important note: If you don’t take any action within two weeks, the minor can start working for the employer after that time passes. However, if you eventually do reject the application in our system, the minor must stop working at that time.