The Farmland Preservation Program includes several post-preservation activities and opportunities. Preserved farms are eligible for SADC stewardship grants, such as Soil and Water Conservation grants and Deer Fencing grants, and farm owners may request a "Preserved Farmland: Private Land, Public Legacy" sign for their farm. 

The SADC also administers all post-closing requests, such as for divisions of premises, residential construction or replacement, construction of agricultural labor units, exercising of residual dwelling site opportunities (RDSOs), and special permits for rural microenterprises and personal wireless service facilities, as well administers easement violation resolution. Once a farm is preserved, annual monitoring also is required to ensure compliance with the farmland preservation deed of easement. The SADC conducts annual monitoring of farms preserved through the state acquisition program and coordinates county monitoring efforts and submission of reports.


Soil & Water Grants

The SADC provides grants to help fund up to 50 percent of the costs of approved soil and water conservation projects on farms enrolled in permanent or term farmland preservation programs.

Landowners apply to their local Soil Conservation Districts, which assists in developing a farm conservation plan and ensure projects are necessary and feasible. Applications are forwarded to the N.J. State Soil Conservation Committee, which recommends projects to the SADC for funding approval.

Soil and Water Conservation Grants - Fact Sheet
Program Policy P-48

top of page

Deer Fencing Grants

The SADC provides cost-sharing grants to assist farmers with installing deer fencing on permanently preserved farms to protect against crop losses. The 50 percent matching grants help eligible established farmers pay for the cost of fencing materials and installation. The maximum grant award is $200 per acre of permanently preserved farmland owned or $20,000 total. Eligible farmers may apply at any time, and applications are reviewed on a rolling basis.

Deer Fencing Grants

  • Fact Sheet
  • Program Policy P-53 (Effective 12/2/19)
  • SADC Deer Fencing Installation Training (YouTube video - Installation demonstration starts at 1:02:20)
  • Application (Fillable PDF form) (Effective 12/2/19)
    Application Submission Options: 
    • Internet Explorer: Open the PDF form in Internet Explorer, type your responses, and click "Submit" to email the completed form to the SADC. You can also "cc" yourself on the email or otherwise save a copy of the form for yourself.
    • Other web browsers (use Adobe Acrobat or another PDF-form-filling program): Save the PDF form to your computer, open in Adobe Acrobat or another PDF-form-filling program, type your responses, and click" Submit" to email it to the SADC. You also can "cc" yourself on the email or otherwise save a copy of the form for yourself. (Completed forms also can be printed and then mailed or faxed to the SADC.) 
    • Writing: Print the PDF form, write your responses, and mail, fax, or email it to the SADC.

Resources Regarding Previous Funding Rounds

The SADC previously made deer fencing grants available through a Spring 2017 funding round and a Fall 2018 funding round. Information related to these prior funding rounds appears below.

Spring 2017 Funding Round

For farmers who were approved through the first round of cost-sharing grants, see the information below:

Fall 2018 Funding Round

For farmers who were approved through the second round of cost-sharing grants, see the information below:

top of page

Order a Sign for Your Preserved Farm

Sign request form

top of page

Division of the Premises

A landowner who wishes to subdivide a permanently preserved farm may apply to the county agriculture development board for a division of the premises. The division must meet criteria  in the SADC's policy, including that the resulting parcels are agriculturally viable. The request must be approved by both the county agriculture development board and the SADC.

Division of Premises -- Policy 
Division of Premises -- Fact Sheet
Division of Premises -- Application (PDF or Word)

top of page

Exercise of an RDSO

Some farms are preserved with a Residual Dwelling Site Opportunity (RDSO) to provide for the limited future construction of a residential unit(s) for agricultural purposes. An owner of a preserved farm that provides for an RDSO in the deed of easement must apply to the county agriculture development board to exercise that RDSO (i.e., construct the residential unit). Exercise of an RDSO requires both county agriculture development board and SADC approval.

Exercise a Residual Dwelling Site Opportunity (RDSO)  -- Policy
Exercise a Residual Dwelling Site Opportunity (RDSO) -- Application (PDF or Word )


top of page

Rural Microenterprise on Preserved Farmland

The SADC adopted new and amended rules to implement legislation (P.L. 2015, c. 275) that allows a farmer who owns a qualifying preserved farm to apply for a special permit to conduct a rural microenterprise on a preserved farm within certain parameters. The law also promotes and incentivizes the preservation of historic and culturally significant agricultural structures.

Press Release (6/4/18)

Memo to Agricultural Community (9/26/18)

Rural Microenterprise Act

Fact Sheet

Application for a Special Permit for a Rural Microenterprise Activity on Preserved Farmland

Rules: The full text of the Rural Microenterprise rules is available via LexisNexis:
Click "I Agree";
Click the plus sign next to Title 2.Agriculture; (if Titles are not displayed, first click "NJ Administrative Code" under Links box at upper right).
Click the plus sign next to Chapter 76.State Agriculture Development Committee;
Click the plus signs next to Subchapter 22 and 22A for the Rural Microenterprise rules.

top of page

Deed of Easement Interpretation

The SADC in December 2008 appointed a subcommittee to examine various provisions of the farmland preservation Deed of Easement to determine where clarification may be needed to ensure consistent interpretation and related decision-making by the SADC and its preservation partners. Click here for more information on Deed of Easement interpretation.  

top of page

Energy Generation on Preserved Farms

P.L. 2009, c. 213, which affects the ability of farmers and other landowners to install solar, wind or biomass energy generation systems on farms, was signed into law in January 2010. The law identifies allowable limits and criteria for these activities on preserved farms, and for qualifying for farmland assessment and right-to-farm protection on both preserved and non-preserved farms.

Application for Solar Energy Generation Facilities on Preserved Farmland (for both rooftop and ground-mounted systems)

Unofficial copy of rules for Solar Energy Generation on Preserved Farms

top of page

Special Occasion Events on Preserved Farmland

P.L. 2023, c.9 became law on February 3, 2023. The law recognizes the positive effects that holding special occasion events (SOEs) on preserved farms can have, under certain conditions.

The SADC will be holding an SOE Webinar for farmers and others on Monday, June 5, 2023 at 7:00 pm. See below for how to join the webinar through Microsoft Teams.

Microsoft Teams
Join on your computer, mobile app or room device

Click here to join the live webinar (June 5, 2023)
Meeting ID: 240 282 024 388
Passcode: Tw8TRS
Download Teams | Join on the web

Or call in (audio only)
+1 856-338-7074,,120311495#   United States, Camden
Phone Conference ID: 120 311 495#
Find a local number | Reset PIN
Learn More | Meeting options

See the documents below for more information on SOEs, including what an SOE is, who may apply to hold SOEs, how many SOEs may be held, where they can be held, and the roles of easement holders (counties, nonprofits, and the SADC) and municipalities.

SOE Outreach Presentation (Previously Recorded Video - 4/10/23)

top of page

Annual Monitoring of Preserved Farms

Monitoring Report E-form (link)

  • Notes:
    • In your internet browser (Edge, Chrome, Firefox, etc.), you can save a blank Monitoring E-form to your computer and then open it with Adobe Reader. Right-click the link above / Select "Save link as..." / Save the PDF file / and open with Adobe Reader.
    • You also can open the form directly in Edge if you update the settings to allow Edge to open sites (such as the E-Form) in Internet Explorer mode. Note: Here are instructions for how to update the settings in Edge.

top of page