Route 18 and Route 1 bridge work concludes with final scheduled lane and ramp closures
Overnight work on ramps and lanes required
(Trenton) - New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) officials today announced a series of overnight lane and ramp closures over the next few weeks on Route 18 and Route 1 as the replacement of the Route 18 Bridge over Route 1 in New Brunswick, Middlesex County nears completion.
Starting at 9 p.m. tonight, Monday, July 18 until 6 a.m. Tuesday, July 19, NJDOT’s contractor, Anselmi & DeCicco, will close the following lanes and ramps for the final milling and paving associated with the project:
• Route 1 southbound right lane and shoulder
• Route 18 northbound two right lanes and acceleration lane
• Route 18 southbound left lane
• Ramp from Route 18 northbound to Route 1 southbound
• Ramp from Route 1 southbound to Route 18 southbound
• Ramp from Route 1 northbound to Route 18 northbound
Additional overnight lane and ramp closures are anticipated over the next two weeks for final pavement treatment, permanent striping, and installation of reflectors. There may be minor work that will be finished in August to complete the project.
The scheduled ramp closures and detours tonight include the following:
Route 18 northbound to Route 1 southbound Detour:
• Motorists traveling from Route 18 northbound to Route 1 southbound will be directed to Route 1 northbound and exit at the Woodbridge Avenue interchange to Route 1 southbound.
Route 1 southbound to Route 18 southbound Detour:
• Motorists traveling on Route 1 southbound to Route 18 southbound will be directed to continue on Route 1 southbound and exit at the Ryders Lane interchange to Route 1 northbound to Route 18 southbound.
Route 1 northbound to Route 18 northbound Detour:
• Motorists traveling from Route 1 northbound to Route 18 northbound will be directed to the Woodbridge Avenue interchange to Route 1 southbound to Route 18 northbound.
The $30 million federally-funded bridge replacement project to ease congestion and improve safety on Route 18 just south of Rutgers University between Route 1 and the New Jersey Turnpike Interchange 9 began construction in August of 2014. Route 18 crosses Route 1 on two separate bridges, one carrying three lanes of traffic northbound and the other carrying three lanes of traffic southbound, with traffic volumes of approximately 100,000 vehicles each day.
The Route 18 decks and superstructures over Route 1 were replaced and the structure widened in the northbound direction. The Route 18 northbound right shoulder from north of Westons Mill Pond was converted to a third travel lane up to the interchange with Route 1.
The Route 18 northbound ramp to Route 1 southbound was reconstructed and realigned as a part of this project. Retaining walls also were reconstructed and sidewalks were built to comply with New Jersey’s Complete Streets Policy and meet ADA requirements.
The project utilized accelerated bridge construction techniques to minimize impacts to motorists and speed construction. This involved the use of rapidly deployed moveable construction barrier and prefabricated bridge deck panels.
Portable and overhead variable message signs are being utilized to provide advance notification to the motoring public of all traffic pattern changes associated with the work. The precise timing of the work is subject to change due to weather or other factors. Motorists are encouraged to check NJDOT's traffic information website www.511nj.org for real-time travel information and for NJDOT news follow us on Twitter @NJDOT_info.