Route 46 westbound to be closed and detoured for Bridge over Piaget Avenue project in Clifton
Lane and ramp closures needed on Route 46 westbound and Piaget Avenue
The $5.1 million federally-funded bridge project is using Accelerated Bridge Construction (ABC) techniques allowing the construction to be completed over two weekends to minimize disruption to the traveling public.
This is the second of two weekends with multiple lane and ramp closures that are necessary so NJDOT’s contractor, Anselmi & DeCicco, Inc., can demolish and reconstruct the bridge and approach slab on Route 46 over Piaget Avenue. This weekends closure will allow work on the the westbound side. The eastbound side of the bridge and approach slab were demolished and reconstructed the weekend of June 29 through July 3.
After the bridge installation, PSE&G will transfer all existing temporary facilities onto the four 65-foot, recently installed, permanent utility poles. The coordination of the utility company with the NJDOT eliminates the need for an additional road closure at a later date.
The following closures and detours are in effect this weekend.
Route 46 westbound
Beginning at 8 p.m., Friday, July 13, the left lane of Route 46 westbound will be reduced to one lane. Beginning at 9:30 p.m., Friday, July 13, Route 46 westbound, normally a two-lane road, will be fully closed and detoured between Route 21 and Day Street until 3 p.m., Tuesday, July 17.
Route 46 westbound regional detour:
- Motorists traveling westbound on Route 46 will be directed to Route 20 northbound
- Take the exit for I-80 westbound
- Take the exit to Route 19 southbound
- Take the exit Route 46 westbound
Route 46 westbound local detour:
- Motorists traveling westbound will be directed to take Lexington Avenue
- Right onto Piaget Avenue westbound
- Left on 3rd Street
- Right onto Luddington Avenue
- Right onto Montgomery Street
- Left onto Route 46 West
Route 46 Eastbound
The left lane of Route 46 eastbound will be closed between Day Street and Trenton Avenue during the overnight hours from Friday through Tuesday morning on a varied schedule. One lane will be maintained at all times. The lane closure schedule is as follows:
Left lane closure schedule:
- Friday, July 13: 8 p.m. until 7 a.m. Saturday, July 14
- Saturday, July 14: 9:30 p.m. until 8 a.m. Sunday, July 15
- Sunday, July 15: 9 p.m. until 5:30 a.m. Monday, July 16
- Monday, July 16: 9 p.m. until 5:30 a.m. Tuesday, July 17
Route 46 eastbound detour from Christopher Columbus Middle School:
Beginning at 10 a.m., Friday, July 13 until 5:30 a.m. Tuesday, July 17 the ramp from Piaget Avenue to Route 46 eastbound and westbound will be closed with the following detours:
- Motorists exiting the Christopher Columbus Middle School wishing to travel eastbound on Route 46 will be detoured at the Piaget Avenue ramp and directed to continue to Route 46 westbound
- Make a left onto 7th Street
- Left onto Barkley Avenue
- Left onto 3rd Street
- Right onto Piaget Avenue
- Follow Piaget Avenue eastbound to Lexington Avenue
- Left on Lexington Avenue
- Left onto Route 46 eastbound ramp
Piaget Avenue ramp to Route 46 westbound
Beginning at 8:30 p.m. Friday, July 13 until 5:30 a.m. Tuesday, July 17 the ramp from Piaget Avenue to Route 46 westbound will be closed with the following detour:
Piaget Avenue westbound ramp detour to Christopher Columbus Middle School:
- Motorists traveling Piaget Avenue to the Christopher Columbus Middle School will be directed to make a left onto 3rd Street
- Right onto Ludington Avenue
- Right onto Montgomery Street
- Right onto Route 46 westbound
The project will replace the existing bridge deck, install a new center median barrier, install new guiderails on both sides of the bridge, and eliminate two non-ADA compliant staircases. A new ADA compliant sidewalk will be built on Route 46 westbound leading to the Christopher Columbus Middle School. Access from the eastbound sidewalk on Route 46 to the Piaget Avenue ramp will be provided by an existing walkway that will be made ADA compliant. Additionally, a new crosswalk across the Piaget Avenue ramp will be installed. The work will be done during the summer while the nearby Christopher Columbus Middle School is not in session. The project is expected to be completed by the fall 2018.
The precise timing of the work is subject to change due to weather or other factors. As work progresses, NJDOT will issue additional traffic advisories. Motorists are encouraged to check NJDOT's traffic information website www.511nj.org for real-time travel information and for NJDOT news follow us on Twitter @NJDOT_info and on the NJDOT Facebook page.