I'm looking for resources about…
- Teacher Evaluation Overview
- Evaluation of Special Education Teachers Overview
- Teacher Evaluation Scoring Guide
Principal & VP/AP Evaluation
- Principal Practice Approved Instruments List
- Student Growth Objectives
- Student Growth Percentiles
- Sample Administrator Goals (Word | PDF)
- Evaluation Leadership Instruments: Rubrics for measuring effectiveness in implementing the new state-wide evaluation
Staff Evaluation (Directors, Supervisors, Education Specialists, Etc. . . .)
- Evaluation of Directors & Supervisors Overview
- Evaluation of Educational Services Staff, Counselors & Other Specialists Overview
Frameworks in Use by Various Groups
Over the past year, the Department has worked with teams of accomplished professionals from several groups representing educators in specialized roles. This collaboration has resulted in the creation of role-specific evaluation instruments that districts may choose to adopt. While the Department does not require the use of these instruments, we support the educator groups in their efforts to promote the use of tools that address the specific job responsibilities of their members. As the Department continues to develop guidance for staff members in specialized roles, we will continue to learn from these groups and their partner districts during their first year of utilizing these evaluation instruments, which are listed below:
- Athletic Trainers: Instrument from ATSNJ
- School Counselors: NJSCA Evaluation Model
- Speech-Language Specialists: NJSHA Framework: Note that NJSHA has a licensing agreement and can only post information to members; the link provided above connects to the membership sign-in page.
Student Growth Objectives (SGOs)
- SGO Overview: A 2 page overview for those unfamiliar with or who want a refresher on SGOs.
- SGO Quick Start Guide: A two page process guide/condensed version of the SGO Guidebook that could be used as a reference.
Training & Implementation Materials
- SGO Guidebook: This document is an in-depth "how-to" guide for setting SGOs. It contains useful forms in an appendix.
- SGO Training Modules: Four computer-based training modules have been developed to help teachers in small groups or individually work through each step of the SGO process.
- SGO Quality Rating Rubric: Rubric that teachers and administrators can use to assess the quality of SGOs (Word | PDF).
- SGO Scoring Checkpoints and Considerations: Annotated guide with examples and resources for developing SGO scoring policies and completing the SGO process with teachers (Word | PDF).
- SGO Scoring Checklist: Simple list that administrators may use prior to or during annual conference to ensure important aspects of SGO scoring are completed (Word | PDF).
- Administering and Scoring SGO Assessments: Table including a series of optional steps districts and schools can take to increase the quality of SGO assessing and scoring (Word | PDF).
- SGO Overview Presentation
- Assessing and Adjusting SGOs (Word | PDF) : Document describing the value of assessing submitted SGOs for quality and making adjustments as needed before the February 15th deadline. Includes a suggested method for inspecting SGO quality.
- SGO Quality Assessment Presentation (PowerPoint | PDF) :Presentation that can be used to assist a team that is assessing SGO quality. Describes the components of a high quality SGO with SGO samples of varying quality.
- SGO Forms: Optional forms for educators to use when developing and setting SGOs.
- SGO Exemplars
- SGO FAQ
- SGOs: Business as Usual for Effective Educators (slide) PDF
- Baseline Data Taken from Multiple High Quality Sources to Set Differentiated SGO Targets (slide) PDF
Student Growth Percentiles (SGPs)
Training & Implementation Materials
- SGP General Overview: This August 2011 white paper from the National Center for the Improvement of Educational Assessments (NCIEA) provides a 6-page overview of SGPs, including a detailed explanation of the statistical methodology used to calculate SGPs.
Evaluation Scoring and Conferences
- Teacher Evaluation Scoring Guide
- Principal Evaluation Scoring Guide
- Evaluation Leadership Scoring Worksheet (principal evaluation only)
- Median Student Growth Percentile Conversion Chart
- Course Roster Verification and Submission Guide
- 2012-13 mSGP Report User Guide
- 2012-13 mSGP Report Presentation
- Optional mSGP Teacher Summary Conference Form
- Optional non-mSGP Teacher Summary Conference Form
- "Calculate Your Rating" Tool
The TEACHNJ Act
Committees (DEAC, ScIP, ANJAC)
- AchieveNJ Update (4-08-14)
- AchieveNJ Update (3-11-14)
- District Access to 2012-13 mSGP Scores Memo (2-4-14)
- Summer 2014 Evaluation Data Collection Memo (1-7-14)
- AchieveNJ Updates (12-17-13): DEAC Resources, Principal Evaluation, SGO Adjustment, AchieveNJ Advisory Committee
- Evaluation Data Update (12-3-13)
- AchieveNJ Updates and Professional Development Plans for Teachers (11-19-13)
- AchieveNJ Update and Evaluation Scoring Memo (11-13)
- AchieveNJ Back to School Memo (9-13)
- AchieveNJ School Leaders Memo (8-13)
- Evaluation Update Memo (5-13)
- Evaluation Instrument Request for Qualifications (RFQ) Memo (4-13)
- Evaluation and Student Teaching Memo (4-13)
- Evaluation Update Memo (3-13)
- Evaluation Research and Policy Development Memo (2-13)
- Evaluation Update Memo (1-13)
- Evaluation Reporting Requirements Memo (12-12)
- Evaluation Update Memo (11-12)
- Evaluation Update Memo (9-12)
- Evaluation Update Memo (7-12)
- Evaluation Update Memo (5-12)
- Evaluation Update Memo (4-12)
- Evaluation Update Memo (3-12)
- Evaluation Update from Commissioner Cerf (2-12)
- RUGSE Strategies for Training on a Teacher Practice Evaluation Instrument: Advice from Pilot Districts (5-13)
- EPAC Interim Report (2011-12)
- RUGSE Year 1 Report (2011-12)
- RUGSE Interim Report on Cohort 1 Teacher Evaluation Pilot (3-12)
- New Jersey Educator Effectiveness Task Force Interim Report (3-11)
- Ensuring Fair and Reliable Measures of Effective Teaching: Culminating Findings from the Measures of Effective Teaching (MET) Project's Three-Year Study: Brief (1-13)
Archived News Releases
- 3/6/13 Christie Administration Advances Regulations to Implement Statewide Educator Evaluation Systems Provided for in Landmark Tenure Reform Law
- 2/5/13 Christie Administration Announces Positive Reporting of New Jersey's First Year Teacher Evaluation Pilot Program
- 7/17/12 Christie Administration Announces 24 Districts to Receive Funding to Participate in Educator Evaluation Pilot Programs
- 4/19/12 Christie Administration Continues Focus on Effective Educators with New Principal Evaluation Pilot Program
- 3/28/12 Department of Education Announces $2.4 Million for Second Year of Teacher Evaluation Pilot Program in Preparation for Statewide Rollout in 2013-14
- 2/28/12 Department of Education Partners with Rutgers University to Conduct External Evaluation of Excellent Educators for New Jersey (EE4NJ) Teacher Evaluation Pilot Program4
- 2/24/12 Department of Education announces that 372 districts and charter schools have signed up to take part in the state's $38 million Race to the Top award
- 12/23/11 New Jersey awarded $38 million in federal funding through Race to the Top 3 competition
- 9/23/11 Department of Education Announces Members of Statewide Advisory Committee to Guide Teacher Evaluation Pilot Program
- 9/1/11 Department of Education announces 11 districts to participate in a teacher evaluation pilot program
- 9/1/11 OpEd from Acting Commissioner Christopher D. Cerf: N.J. set to pilot new teacher evaluation systems
- 6/21/11 Christie Administration Announces $1.1 Million Competitive Grant Encouraging School Districts to Participate in Teacher Evaluation Pilot Program
- 6/9/11 Principal and Teacher Effectiveness is the Focus of Statewide Conference for School Leaders
- 4/13/11 Governor Chris Christie Puts Forward Fundamental Education Reform Legislative Package that Puts Children First and Protects Teachers
- 4/13/11 Democrats & Education Leaders From Around The Country Echo Governor Christie's Call For Needed Tenure Reform
- 3/25/11 Acting Commissioner Cerf Asks School Leaders to Back Governor's Education Reforms, Tying Student Learning, Teacher Effectiveness to Evaluations