NJDOT was able to:
- Maintain two lanes of traffic in each direction along Route 17 during peak hours, with travel reduced to one lane during nighttime work when warranted.
- Redirect Route 17 traffic away from the bridge using Diversionary Roads to provide an unobstructed work area around the bridge. This temporary traffic pattern began on January 5, 2008 and ended on April 14, 2008.
- Close Essex Street at Route 17 on to facilitate the demolition and replacement of the bridge. Working under an accelerated schedule and cooperative weather conditions minimized the duration the bridge was closed to about six months, which turned out to be half the time anticipated. Numerous detours are posted to redirect travelers who are unfamiliar with the area.
- Maintain ramp access to and from Route 17 and Essex Street throughout most of construction. Detours were posted when certain ramp movements needed to be closed for construction.
- Maintain access to all commercial and residential properties within the project limits throughout the project.
- Encourage motorists to avoid the area if possible.
- Inform motorists traveling the project area to expect delays and encourage them to utilize carpool, vanpool or public transportation when possible.