Low Income Home Energy Assistance (LIHEAP)
A video message from Lieutenant Governor Sheila Oliver About the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program. If you or someone you know is struggling to keep their home warm, please know that assistance is just a phone call away.
Visit our DCAid survey to determine if you are eligible for other DCA assistance programs.
The Home Energy Assistance Program helps very low-income residents with their heating and cooling bills, and makes provisions for emergency heating system services and emergency fuel assistance within the Home Energy Assistance Program.
How to Apply for Home Energy Assistance:
1. Find out if you are eligible for the program
Review the Energy Assistance Program Fact Sheet and Income Guidelines
2. If you are eligible, fill out an application
Download, print and complete the Home Energy/USF/Weatherization Program Application [pdf 389kB]
3. Submit a completed application to your Local Community Action Agency
Choose from the list of Local Application Agency's contact information
(en Español: Lista de agencias de acción comunitaria local)
For more information or to locate your nearest application agency, please call our toll-free hotline at 1-800-510-3102
For written instructions on how to complete the application, click on the link below:
UAP Application Written Instructions
Home Energy Assistance - Quick Facts:
Assistance Provided To: Very low-income persons.
Type of Assistance: Financial-Grants.
Funding Source: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
Procedure for Applying: Inter-Departmental Agreement
Award Period: October 1 to September 30.
Contact: Fidel Ekhelar - 1 (800) 510-3102 Utilityhelp@nj211.org or USFHEAemail@example.com
Public Hearing Notice FY2024 Model Plan [pdf 12kB]
LIHEAP FY2024 Detailed Model Plan [pdf 99kB]
Certificate Proposal 2018 [pdf 115 kB]
Read about other energy assistance programs at www.nj.gov/bpu/assistance/programs
- Do You Need Help With Your Home Energy Bills? - Brochure - English [pdf 192kB]
- Do You Need Help With Your Home Energy Bills? - Brochure - Spanish [pdf 231kB]
- LIHEAP/USF Fact Sheet, Income Guidelines
- LIHEAP/USF Fact Sheet, Income Guidelines - Spanish [pdf 125kB]
- Local Application Agency's Contact Information
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about USF
- 2024 LIHEAP Benefit Amounts Table [pdf 125kB]
Additional Assistance Programs:
To apply online for energy assistance, click the button below
To reach specialists who have expertise in LIHEAP, USF, and other utility assistance