to top

Division of Taxation

I Received a Letter

Sometimes we need to send letters to taxpayers requesting additional information to make sure they are getting the correct amount of refund, including your NJEITC. If you receive a letter from us, you must send us copies of the items requested in the notice so we can complete processing your refund. No credits will be approved until we can verify your information.

You can also mail your documents with a copy of the letter to the address indicated on the letter.

Allow at least 90 days to review your information.

See the FAQ for additional help with your notice.

Required Documents

Federal Documents

  • Social Security cards for yourself, your spouse, and any dependents claimed on the tax return (Letters from the Social Security Administration (SSA) are not acceptable. We must receive a copy of the actual Social Security card);
  • IRS Record of Account or Tax Account Transcript - Request this document at no cost from the IRS via their IRS website or by calling their automated IRS service at 1-800-908-9946.

This transcript verifies the federal EITC amount you were allowed and is only available to order once your federal return has been finalized. If you amend your federal return, you must wait until it has completed processing to order the updated transcript. Failure to wait may result in a denial of the NJEITC. Do not send a copy of your Federal 1040 form. This is not proof that you actually were allowed the federal EITC.

Proof of Income

Depending on the type of income you earn, you must also submit:

Qualifying Children (Dependents)

You must prove the relationship with your qualifying child is legal.

If you are a biological parent:

  • A copy of the qualifying child's birth certificate, which lists your name as the mother or father; or
  • Court documents, marriage certificate, or a paternity test result, which proves your relationship to the child.

If you are claiming your sibling, niece, nephew, or a grandchild:

  • A copy of your birth certificate, the qualifying child's birth certificate, and the birth certificate of the qualifying child's parents; or
  • Proof of legal guardianship of the qualifying child; or
  • Court documents or a paternity test result, which proves your relationship to the qualifying child.

If you are claiming an adopted or foster child:

  • A letter from an adoption agency or authorized placement agency; or
  • The Adoption Decree or Certificate, Amended Birth Certificate, or other court documents.

If you would like to remove a qualifying child for NJEITC purposes, send a written request to remove the individual, along with a request to recalculate any NJEITC you may still be eligible for, to the address on your letter.

We realize that you may not have access to some of the documents we need from you. If you are unable to locate the documents requested or need more help, see alternate acceptable documents listed in the NJEITC FAQ.

Received a Second Notice?

We need more information in order to process your NJEITC claim.

  • Your first submission was either incorrect, incomplete, or an error occurred during processing.
  • You must respond to the PO Box on the letter with the specific information printed on the notice.
  • Your assigned caseworker sends follow up notices. You can only communicate with your caseworker via mail. Include the follow-up notice along with the requested information, so your caseworker can continue his or her review.
  • If you cannot provide the requested documentation, provide a detailed written explanation as to why or see alternate acceptable documents listed in the NJEITC FAQ for other possible options.

There is limited opportunity to submit acceptable documentation. If you receive a final denial letter from us, your only other option is to appeal the decision with Conferences and Appeals by following the instructions provided along with your final denial letter. There are no exceptions.

I do not want to send in this information.

You can request to remove your Earned Income Tax Credit for any reason at any time. You must call our Customer Service Center at 609-292-6400 for assistance or write to the PO Box on your letter with your request, otherwise your refund could be severely delayed. Requests are permanent.

In some cases, you may be required to write in with your request to remove the credit.

For more information, see Frequently Asked Questions.

Last Updated: Tuesday, 12/05/23