to top

Division of Taxation

What if I do not have my W-2?

Federal Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, shows your income and the taxes withheld from your pay for the year. Most people get their W-2 forms by the end of January. You need it to file an accurate tax return.

If you need a copy of your W-2, here is what you should do:

  1. Contact your employer. This is your quickest option. Make sure the employer has your correct address. Some employers may even have a W-2 for previous years.
  2. Call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 after February. We will not be able to accept any Federal W-2 that is missing the State information in Boxes 15 through 17.
  3. Submit a written request for your New Jersey wage and/or New Jersey withholding amounts.
    We do not have access to federal information. If you need federal wage transcripts, you must contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 or go to the IRS webpage.

How do I request my New Jersey wage and/or New Jersey withholding amounts?

We will not provide your New Jersey wage and withholding amounts over the phone.

You must submit a signed and dated letter requesting a New Jersey state wage and/or New Jersey withholding transcript for the year(s) in question.

The letter must include:

  • Your name and Social Security number;
  • Current mailing address;
  • The name(s) of the employer(s) providing the W-2 in question;
  • Your signature and date of the request; and
  • Your prior year New Jersey refund amount and/or prior year New Jersey gross income amount.
    • If you did not file an Income Tax return for the prior year, upload a copy of your driver's license/State ID and Social Security card with the letter.
    • If you do not have your prior year New Jersey Income Tax return, your signed and dated letter will need to state that:
      • you do not have access to prior year returns; and
      • are requesting your New Jersey wage and/or New Jersey withholding information for the tax year(s) in question.

Submit your signed and dated letter by uploading through New Jersey Online Notice Response Service (NJ ONRS).

Select PO Box 440. You will be asked to provide a Notice Code. Select W2.

Or by mail:

  • State of New Jersey
    NJ Division of Taxation
    PO Box 440
    Trenton, NJ 08646-0440

If you still have not received your W-2, use Form C– 4267 Employee's Substitute Wage and Tax Statement . You should use your last paystub to estimate your wages and withholdings.

Last Updated: Tuesday, 05/16/23